Welcome to Reception!
Wren Class: Mrs McKerrow (Monday, Tuesday, Friday), Miss Stockwell (Wednesday, Thursday) and Mrs Kehn-Alafun
Robin Class: Mrs Savage and Mrs Lowe
Our topic this term is:
Who am I?
- Home visits will take place the week beginning 3rd September.
- Group one start on Monday 10th September (8.45am – 11.30am).
- Group two start on Thursday 13th September (8.45am – 11.30am).
- Group three start on Tuesday 18th September (8.45am – 11.30am).
- Children will start staying for lunch on Monday 24th September (8.40am-12.30pm).
- Children will start full time on Thursday 27th September (8.40am – 3.00pm)
Checklist for parents:
- Please remember to name all items including school uniform, lunchboxes, P.E/forest school kit, coats etc.
- Please bring in your child’s book bag with their book or reading strips, their reading record and sound keyrings in every day. We do aim to try and read with your child once a week.
- Wellies and P.E. kits should be in school (starting after the October half term).
- Children will be carrying out their learning indoors and outdoors so please ensure they have their coats in school.
In Reception we value your contribution to your child’s learning. If you have something WOW you would like to share with us, then please fill in a WOW voucher to share with the class and so we can add them to your child’s learning journey. If you would like to bring in photos or any other achievements e.g. a medal for football, then please do so we can celebrate this with your child.
Important dates this term
- Harvest stay and play – Thursday 18th October 2.20pm – 3pm
Who am I?
- This half term we are learning about who we are as a part of our new classes.
- We will settle into our new routines and work on making new friendships.
- The children will start their phonic learning journey by learning the phase 2 sounds e.g. s,a,t,p and we will learning about their letter names and learn how to form them correctly. When we’re ready we will look at using the sounds to learn to read some simple words through segmenting and blending.
- We will be working on the children’s early writing skills by building up their motor control through funky fingers and dough gym activities.
- Throughout the term the children will have the opportunity to engage in a wide range of different mark making situations to help develop their early writing skills.
- We will enjoy playing games to encourage our counting skills and look at 2d and 3d shapes within our environment e.g. can we find some squares? What properties (sides and corners) does it have?
- The children will be asked to bring in some family photos and baby photos and we will look at the difference between them now and when they were babies. We will talk and learn about who is important to the children and we will look at the different parts of our body and how we can keep it healthy.
- Throughout the term the children will have a range of creative opportunities to explore e.g. making their own self-portraits.