Welcome to Reception!
Teachers: Mrs McKerrow and Mrs Savage
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Kehn-Alafun, Mrs Lowe, Mrs Fitzgerald and Mrs Dallimore
Our topic this term is:
The Enchanted Land
- Mrs Savage’s class will have P.E. on a THURSDAY morning. Please make sure your child’s P.E. kit has daps or suitable footwear, shorts and the T-shirt to match the colour of your child’s house.
- Mrs McKerrow’s class will have Forest School on a THURSDAY morning. Your child needs Wellies, coat, hat, scarf and gloves. The school have their own waterproof trousers and coats that the children will use.
- Reading books will be changed on a MONDAY and a THURSDAY as long as the reading record has been signed.
- Spellings (if applicable) will be tested once a week. Please do not practise in the spelling book as this is used for the tests as well as a mean for you to see how well they have done.
- Please look out for any spare school clothes and bring them back to school.
Checklist for parents
- Please remember to name all items including school uniform, lunchboxes, P.E/forest school kit, sun hats, sun cream.
- Please bring in your child’s book back with book, reading record and sound keyring in every day. We do aim to try and read with your child once a week.
- Wellies and P.E. kits should be in school.
- As the warmer weather sets in please ensure you send your child into school with sun cream already applied and with their named sun hats.
In Reception we value your contribution to your child’s learning. If you have something WOW you would like to share with us, then please fill in a WOW voucher to share with the class.
Important dates this term
- Sports Day – 9am, Tuesday 3rd July
- Good news assembly – 8.45am, Monday 23rd July
The Enchanted Land
- The children are becoming story tellers. We will be looking at a range of fairy tales. They will begin to understand the structure of the stories (characters, setting, problem, solution) and use this understanding to create stories or descriptions of their own using key narrative language.
- We will look at some of the themes in the fairy tales and make links with other stories e.g. when looking at ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’ we will also look at ‘Jasper’s Beanstalk’ and use the stories to help us plant and grow our own beanstalks.
- The children might also get some unexpected visits from some of the characters in our stories. They will have to use their investigation skills to solve the clues and work out which character or characters have been in our classrooms.